Blackstone Valley Advocacy Center – Pawtucket, RI
The Blackstone Valley Advocacy Center is a non profit organization providing comprehensive services to victims of domestic violence.
Part time position. 12 hour shift and other hours as requested. Provide overnight coverage and supervision of the Safe Home to assure its continuous operation and security for families.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Receives and responds to all calls to the Residential Program and Victims of Crime Helpline from victims in crisis, police and medical personnel, and others. Gives information on services provided, determines appropriateness for shelter residency and makes referrals as necessary.
- Conducts activities necessary to admit families to the Residential Program. Records necessary information, explains house rules, distributes linens and other items, and otherwise orients new guests.
- Responds to requests for food items, medication, etc., according to established policy and procedures.
- Assures that Safe Home is physically secured for the night by conducting periodical check throughout entire shift and log information in log book. Must be alert for, and responds to, emergencies by following established procedures.
- Maintains log of overnight activities such as calls received, residents admitted and medications dispensed. Communicates pertinent information to day staff.
- Provides crisis intervention and support to families, including handling problems which can be resolved on shift.
. Skills and Abilities Required
- The ability to work independently and without close supervision.
- The interpersonal skills to provide support and assistance to guests.
- Verbal communication skills to information to callers.
- The ability to appropriately, effectively and calmly deal with stressful or emergency situations.
- Associates Degree required, prior group home experience preferred.