Healthy Families Advocate
Blackstone Valley Advocacy Center – Pawtucket, RI
The Blackstone Valley Advocacy Center is a non profit organization providing comprehensive services to victims of domestic violence.
Part-time position responsible for providing domestic violence advocacy and support to expectant and parenting teens and students as well as providing domestic violence prevention while engaging the community.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide advocacy and support to pregnant and parenting teens, young adults and child clients
- Establish and create positive ongoing links with Blackstone Valley area school departments and youth identified agencies
- Facilitate support group to support the needs of teen victims of abuse who are also pregnant or parents
- Develop and maintain a list of active referrals for youth, professionals and parents
- Facilitate relationships with community partners
- Provide information and referrals to immigration assistance
- Research and create links with established local and statewide youth program providers as a referrals source
- Refer to agency housing programs
- Work with agencies, businesses, individuals and government to create strong networks to promote prevention efforts
- Assist in understanding the legal process of a domestic violence criminal case and/or civil case utilizing the Court Advocacy Program
- Provide financial literacy
- Participate in related local and statewide committees
Skills and Abilities Required
- Proven experience in educational field or domestic violence field
- Effective time management and organizational skills
- Ability to multitask with a high attention to detail
- Self-starter with strong verbal and written communication skills
- Commitment and sensitivity to issues related to the needs of families in crisis, particularly those affected by domestic violence
- Ability to effectively and appropriately deal with stressful situations
Required license or certification:
Valid driver’s license
Spanish or Cape Verdean Creole strongly preferred.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed; the Principal Duties and Responsibilities are a representative, but not exhaustive list of duties performed.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.