Blackstone Valley Advocacy Center – Pawtucket, RI
The Blackstone Valley Advocacy Center is a non profit organization providing comprehensive services to victims of domestic violence.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide victims of domestic violence with emotional support, referrals and information about the court process. Including but not limited to: inform of their rights as victims; empower victim to make her own decisions and advocate on her behalf; inform victims of the core of information about domestic violence; inform victims of the court process in which they are involved; intervene on their behalf with police or court personnel, as appropriate.
- Inform victims of the status of their cases, forms of protection available, domestic violence services and other appropriate social services.
- Assist victims in identifying appropriate jurisdiction and in completion of required paperwork for protective orders.
- Provide information to victims via telephone or mail on a timely basis. Such information includes court dates, case dispositions and agency services.
- Collect monthly data and prepare reports for inclusion in monthly statistics.
- Meet regularly with your supervisor and provide any written statistical or narrative reports s/he requests.
- Attend all training sessions deemed necessary/appropriate by Supervisor including statewide Court Advocate meetings.
Skills and Abilities Required
- A high level of organizational skills to engage diverse functions.
- Commitment and sensitivity to issues related to the needs of various individuals, particularly those affected by domestic violence.
- The ability to appropriately and effectively deal with stressful situations.
- Conduct oneself in ways that empower victims of domestic violence.
- Knowledge of Rhode Island court system.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Bilingual Spanish preferred.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed; the Principal Duties and Responsibilities are a representative, but not exhaustive list of duties performed.