The LGBTQ+ Advocate will provide information and support on issues related to intimate partner violence and the LGBTQ+ community. The advocate will work collaboratively with BVAC’s residential and community services staff members, along with community partners, to ensure that victims of abuse who identify as part of the LGBTQ+ community have access to information, resources, and referrals. This includes overseeing the men’s residential program, organizing LGBTQ+ support groups, providing training to member agency staff and community partners on LGBTQ+ competency, managing community outreach initiatives, working with agency volunteers and interns, and providing case management services to LGBTQ+ residential clients.
BASIC FUNCTION: Working with the Director of Community Services, and the residential services housing team, the LGBTQ+ advocate will provide direct services and programming to domestic and sexual violence victims who identify as male and/or LGBTQ+. This position will also provide support services to victims who identify as male and/or LGBTQ+ residing in.
PRINCIPAL JOB DUTIES:
- Provide individual case management services to clients in BVAC programs self-identified as LGBTQ+. Develop action plans with clients that outline goals related to obtaining education, employment, and permanent housing. Assist clients in obtaining appropriate substance abuse, mental health, medical services and/or other referrals as needed.
- Answer phone calls, conduct intakes of new clients, and provide referrals and information to potential residential and community clients.
- Manage and facilitate programming to benefit self-identified LGBTQ+ victims in the community. At a minimum, the advocate will facilitate 1-2 support groups, meetings or programs per week that will benefit clients. The advocate will regularly assess the needs of BVAC’s clients and offer programs reflective of those needs (e.g. LGBTQ discussion groups, HIV/AIDS prevention groups, etc.).
- Complete data entry and submit necessary reports as required for grant compliance.
- Conduct outreach to the community about our services for self-identified victims and the LGBTQ community.
- Stay abreast of RI community housing issues by building and maintaining relationships with housing and social service agencies throughout the state.
- Serve as a liaison to funding sources,
- Prepare and deliver community presentations on issues related to domestic violence, male-identified victims, HIV transmission, and/or the LGBTQ+ community when requested.
- Become a VAWA certified trainer and provide training to law enforcement officials as requested.
- Support BVAC’s philosophy of client empowerment and respect for individual choices.
- Assist with fundraising and awareness raising events to directly benefit BVAC’s LGBTQ+ programs.
- Perform other duties as requested by the Director of Community Services or the Executive Director.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree required
EXPERIENCE AND SPECIAL SKILLS:
- A minimum of five years of experience in human or social services
- A demonstrated familiarity with domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and/or gender issues
- A demonstrated familiarity working with the LGBTQ community (required)
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel, and general Internet skills)
- Familiarity working with individuals from different cultures and backgrounds
- Experience developing and delivering community presentations
- A demonstrated familiarity with HIV/AIDS, mental health, and/or substance abuse populations
- Comfort working individually and in teams
- Familiarity with social service services in Rhode Island
- Ability to work an irregular work schedule (subject to change), including some evenings and occasional weekends. This position is full time (37.5 hours each week) with access to full employee benefits (health, dental, leave time, and a 401(k) plan)
- Ability to speak Spanish or a language other than English is required
- Ability to periodically be on-call for off-hours emergency calls and situations
- Applicant must have access to a reliable vehicle
- Applicant must pass BCI check
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed; the Principal Duties and Responsibilities are a representative, but not exhaustive list of duties performed.