DCYF Family Advocate
GENERAL SUMMARY: Under the general supervision of the Director of Community Services and according to established policies and procedures, has primary responsibility to implement the Safe Families Collaboration Project.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborate with the Department of Children Youth and Families (DCYF) to provide families in crisis with resources and safety planning. Including:
- identifying underlying issues relating to domestic violence;
- identify appropriate support services that may avert a case from opening to Family Service Units;
- assist in identifying additional resources and support to promote positive and expeditious case termination;
- to provide a link with Family Court in a way to ensure coordination and appropriate family support within the community where safety to the child is not a factor and DCYF intervention is not warranted.
- Provide crisis intervention, advocacy and support to assist in identifying immediate needs, reviewing options and setting goals; makes referrals as necessary.
- Provides a liaison relationship between parent, children and professionals in order to provide a comprehensive array of services.
- Collect monthly data and prepare reports for inclusion in monthly statistics as needed.
- Represents agency on various designated committees providing reports as necessary.
- Additional duties necessary for the efficient operation of the agency may be assigned.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of child development, effective parenting, behavior management skills, ability to act as a role model for families, demonstrating social skills and communication skills.
- Ability to collaborate with outside agencies providing verbal communication skills to represent agency favorably.
- Commitment and sensitivity to issues related to the needs families, particularly those affected by domestic violence.
- The ability to appropriately and effectively deal with stressful situations.
- Work requires flexible hours.
- Completion of the next 36-hour volunteer training for Victims of Crime Helpline.
- Position requires some in-state travel and, thus, reliable transportation is needed along with valid insurance.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
A combination of education and experience demonstrating acquisition of the SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED.
A level of knowledge equivalent to that which would be acquired by a minimum of an Bachelor's Degree
Bilingual ability in English/Spanish or English/Portuguese strongly preferred.
Job Type: Full-time
- Bilingual: 1 year (Preferred)
- social services: 5 years (Required)
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
- Pawtucket, RI (Preferred)
- driver's (Required)
- Portuguese (Preferred)
- English (Preferred)
- Spanish (Preferred)
- United States (Required)
- 50% (Required)
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Retirement benefits or accounts
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed; the Principal Duties and Responsibilities are a representative, but not exhaustive list of duties performed.